Rick Baker’s law practice includes a mix of business transactions and litigation. The common thread of his work is providing advice and guidance to clients at those times most critical to them, whether in the midst of a dispute or when executing a strategic business move.
Rick has dedicated his legal career advocating for top Fortune companies, international businesses, and Georgia-based clients at the trial and appellate levels in Georgia and beyond. Outside of the courtroom, he represents private companies and individuals in a variety of industries in business formation, operation, and transfer. His extensive litigation experience enhances his ability to identify and mitigate areas of transactional risk.
What you can expect from Rick: A thoughtful and strategic approach, diligent and focused advocacy, and straightforward advice to achieve your goals.
Prior to forming Baker Jenner, Rick was a partner in a midtown Atlanta law firm. Before law school, he worked for a member of Congress and an incumbent gubernatorial candidate, coordinating grassroots campaign efforts and managing community affairs, media relations, and special events. He also has experience as a public relations counselor for corporate and non-profit entities.
Rick enjoys Atlanta’s ATLA tennis league and getting away to the north Georgia mountains.
- Business Counseling & Transactions
- Outside general counseling for entities in the pharmaceutical, security services, and retail sectors.
- Provide counsel on business entity formation and prepare corporate operating documents and owner agreements.
- Represent private companies in stock and asset purchase transactions.
- Advise regarding deal formation documents and acquisitions.
- Assist with resolving corporate governance disputes.
- Provide counsel in regard to a variety of contracts, including service agreements, financing and security agreements, supply agreements, trademark licensing agreements, commercial leases, restrictive covenants and non-disclosure agreements.
- Advise on employment matters and regulatory issues.
- Trademark registration with USPTO.
- Commercial and Business Disputes
- Represent automobile manufacturer in dealer disputes and warranty actions.
- Represent international multiple-brand franchisor in litigation against franchisees.
- Represent Canadian company in breach of contract dispute in South Carolina court involving international treaty issues.
- Represent shareholders in disputes with business co-owners.
- Represent surety in payment and performance bond matters involving large construction projects.
- Represent Washington, D.C.-based corporation in breach of contract action.
- Represent multi-national company in contract dispute with international retailer.
- Represent real estate holding company in insurance coverage lawsuit for wrongful death claim.
- Represent medical laboratory seeking damages against equipment vendor.
- Represent retailer in dispute over unauthorized use of its trade name.
- Represent advertising agency in actor’s union dispute.
- Represent engineering firm in financing contract lawsuit.
- Real Estate Disputes
- Represent international organization in multi-million-dollar commercial dispute involving bonds and competing security interests in real estate.
- Represent multi-state retailer in lawsuit for breach of an easement agreement.
- Represent homeowner in ownership dispute regarding a $1.6 million residence.
- Represent real estate owner in wrongful foreclosure action against international bank.
- Represent homeowner in dispute with homeowner’s association over the association’s wrongful refusal to permit the homeowner to lease her home.
- Product Liability Litigation
- Represent international and top Fortune companies in a variety of complex product liability cases involving wrongful death, personal injury, property damage and punitive damages claims.
- Product Categories: Automobile; Medical device; Hospital chair; Off-highway mining truck; Lawn mower; EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finish System); Industrial; Food
- Coordinating Counsel: Served as coordinating counsel for litigation in multiple states against manufacturer of EIFS.
- Tort Litigation
- Defend multinational beverage manufacturer, marketer and distributor in general liability, premises-related and transportation litigation.
- Represent multi-state retailers and insureds in premises and general liability matters.
- Defend physicians, dentists and medical business entities against wrongful death and personal injury claims for professional malpractice.
- Labor & Employment
- Represent employers in EEOC investigations and litigation involving discrimination, harassment, retaliation and FLSA claims.
- Counsel corporate clients on day-to-day employment matters and employee contracts, including restrictive covenants.